Nature knows best. That’s why we design Sulapac materials to mimic the beauty, functionality, and circularity of nature.
1) USDA Bio-based certification for most recipes. Certification info available in the technical data sheet of each material.
2) Biodegradation of 48%–59% in 280 days in the marine environment (30C)(ASTM D6691). Tested according to ASTM 5511 (accelerated biodegradation in the landfill, 37C): 68% relative biodegradation in 160 days reached for Sulapac Universal.
3) BPI and/or Seedling certificate for most recipes. Certification info available in the technical data sheet of each material.
4) Our wood originates from certified forests. We always follow our strict Policy for Sustainable Sourcing.
5) Ecotoxicity and threshold values for heavy metals tested according to EN 13432. All raw materials comply with the food contact requirements of the EU legislation.
6) 0,7kg CO2eq/kg for Sulapac Universal (Cradle-to-gate LCA screening performed by an independent third-party consultancy). The corresponding value for polypropylene is 1,7 CO2eq/kg.
7) Can be recycled through hydrolysis back to monomers, suitable as feedstock for recycled biopolymers. Chemical recyclability of Sulapac (excluding Barrier and Heat recipes) has been tested and proven technically feasible by a third-party industrial company. Field tests have also verified that Sulapac materials can be collected and sorted out of a mixed waste stream. When collected together, Sulapac materials do not interfere with the current mechanical recycling of conventional fossil-based or bio-based non-biodegradable plastics. The technology for chemical recycling of bio-based and biodegradable materials exists, but the infrastructure is still under development.